Healthy ingredient banana oatmeal cookies with different mix-in options. Easy and delicious!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas, from 2 large overripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Space two oven racks so that the oven is divided into thirds. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, a few minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg, mashed bananas and vanilla extract; beat until combined. Add the flour and oats mixture and mix on low speed until well combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop large balls of dough (about 1-1/2 tablespoons) onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing at least 2 inches apart (I use a small ice cream scooper with a wire scraper). Bake for 14-17 minutes, rotating the pans from top to bottom and front to back midway through, until golden brown. Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.