- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup prepared eggnog (or see notes for recipe)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups prepared eggnog (or see notes for recipe)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum-flavored extract
- 1/8 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Mixture should be noticeably lighter in color.
- Add eggs, one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into butter mixture before adding the next.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon lemon peel, mixing well.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Pour flour mixture into the batter alternately with 1 cup eggnog, mixing until just incorporated.
- Stir in bourbon.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until cake springs back when touched lightly with a fingertip or a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes (test both cake layers).
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before inverting on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting, combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups eggnog, whisking until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- When mixture boils, cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely to room temperature.
- Beat 1 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Mix in cooled eggnog mixture, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, rum extract, and 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel.
- Beat on high speed until mixture is fully incorporated and frosting is fluffy.
- Spread cake with plain frosting between cake layers, over the top and on the sides.
- Coat the sides with toasted pecans, pressing the nuts onto sides in small handfuls.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
From: All recipes.