- 2 lbs chicken wings (tips removed, separated into wingettes and drumettes)
- 1 Tbsp BAKING POWDER (whatever you do, do NOT use baking soda)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup hot wing sauce (e.g. Duff’s hot sauce)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Dry chicken with a paper towel really well.
- Place the wings in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle baking powder over the wings.
- Toss until all wings are evenly covered in baking powder.
- Better yet, mix by hand to ensure even coverage.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place a cooling rack (see note) on top and spray with Pam or rub with cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- Lay the chicken wings on the rack, leaving space between the wings.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Turn the heat down to 425F and set the mode to convection.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the wings are nicely browned and crisp.
- Let the wings rest for 5 minutes.
- This will preserve crispiness of the skin.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Buffalo wing sauce by combining the butter and the hot wing sauce in a small bowl.
- Season the wings with salt and whatever other seasonings you like.
- Toss with the Buffalo sauce or serve with the sauce on the side.
- While a cooling rack helps with getting the melted chicken drain off the wings, it’s a major pain getting it cleaned afterwards.
- I stopped using a cooling rack and bake the wings on parchment paper.
- I don’t notice much difference, if any.
- If you don’t have a convection oven
Method 1: This comes from readers of this blog and worked for them very well.
- Bake at 450 for 40 minutes, then 350 for an additional 40 minutes.
- Seems like it worked very well for a few people.
Method 2: This is the original method proposed by America’s Test Kitchen
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Arrange wings in single layer on a wire rack placed over a backing sheet.
- Bake wings on lower-middle oven rack for 30 minutes.
- Move to upper-middle rack, increase oven temperature to 425 degrees, and roast until the wings are golden brown and crisp, 40-50 minutes longer, rotating sheet halfway through baking.
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Sodium: 1227mg
- Potassium: 522mg
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Vitamin A: 300IU
- Vitamin C: 15.8mg
- Calcium: 145mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
You can save it to your Pinterest related boards to help people see it!