Treat yourselves to the best piñata cake around – a delicious layered sponge cake filled with a yummy surprise of Jelly Belly beans inside. Perfect for birthday parties, or if you want to take it a step further for April Fool’s Day and fill it with the BeanBoozled collection (yep, there could be booger flavor in there…) well, we dare you.
- 500g butter, softened at room temperature
- 5 cups pure icing sugar
- 2 x 460g packet plain sponge cakes (or find a link to our basic sponge recipe in the method)
- blue food colour
- 200g white chocolate, melted
- Jelly Belly jewel bean jelly beans to decorate
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and creamy. Add icing sugar and beat until combined. Add drops of desired colour, a few at a time and mix well.
- Using a 6.5cm round cutter make a hole in the center of 3 sponge cakes. Reserving one sponge hole for the top.
- Place cakes onto a serving platter and freeze for 1 hour until firm.
- Remove from freezer. Spread one cake with a little icing, top with a second cake. Repeat with remaining cake. Fill the center cavity with Jelly Belly jelly beans and replace the saved sponge hole to level the sponge cake in the last layer.
- Ice the top and sides of the cake and decorate with Jelly Belly jelly beans.
- Place white chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir till smooth, set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Decorate the top and sides with melted chocolate and Jelly Belly jelly beans.
Note: We used 3 sponges for this recipe, but if you want a higher cake you can use 4 sponges or more… if you dare.